Off grid homes, RV's, and boats use a house bank, a bank of batteries used to store the energy from solar, wind, and backup generators for times of no sun or no wind. These are not car batteries, these are specially designed deep cycle batteries that can handle repeated deep discharge and charge cycles. Learn about the following and more from Living With 12vdc and Wiring For 12vdc, on the Ample Power CD at http://www.green-trust.org/products/
- What happens inside a battery when it discharges and
- How much energy can be stored?
- How is storage capacity measured?
- How can capacity remaining be determined?
- When is the best time to recharge?
- What charging techniques yield optimum performance?
- How fast can a battery be charged?
- How should a battery be discharged?
- What kind of regular maintenance is required?
- What pitfalls must be avoided?