The Ammeter finally arrived, and we installed it into the control panel this evening. Much of the wiring was finished, and is ready for connecting to the engine tomorrow. We got a replacement tubing kit for the oil pressure gauge, as the original ferrule that came with it was compressed enough to not allow the tube to insert properly.
The wiring for the heavy load parts of the circuit is 16/3 extension cord, all 3 conductors twisted together and crimped. That should easily handle the entire 63 amp output of the alternator for the 8′ run back to the battery. The NEG of the ammeter connects to the POS on the battery, the IGN post of the key switch connects to the starter solenoid, The Batt and #2 posts on the alternator connect to the positive of the ammeter, and #1 post of the alternator connects to the RUN post on the key switch. Fuel primer pump and gauge lights connect to separate fuses on the fuse panel (with 16 gauge single wire), as will the upcoming 800/1200 rpm switch. 800 RPM is the “idle” setting for this engine, 1200 rpm is the operating speed. More pics can be found in the photo album.