We used to be big fans of skylights, primarily for the light brought into interior rooms during daylight hours, negating the need for electric lights. Leaking, UV fading, and difficulty in installation were drawbacks. A few years back we had the opportunity to play with the descendent of skylights, the Solatube. A much superior way to keep the deep dark recesses of a building lit without UV degradation and heat buildup.
* It provides exceptional lighting. The light output is incredible, providing as much light as you would expect from a skylight many times its size.
* It is cost-effective. Tubular Daylighting Devices cost considerably less than other daylighting options, such as windows and skylights, including both product and installation costs.
* Installing it is fast, clean and easy. They require no structural reframing, tunneling, drywalling or painting. A professional can install the product in less than two hours and most Do-It-Yourselfers can finish the project in one day.
* It can go almost anywhere. The compact and flexible design of TDDs allow them to be installed in just about any room, including rooms without direct roof access and smaller spaces where daylighting would usually not be an option.
* It is “Green.” TDDs allow you to switch off electric lights during the day, which provides savings on energy bills and also reduces environmental pollution.
* It is actually good for you. It has been shown in several prominent studies that increasing daily exposure to natural light can enhance mental and physical well-being, boost concentration and energy levels and a variety of other unexpected perks.
Find out more at http://www.solatube.com/homeowner/Introduction.php